How to Shop at CVS
First, you will need to get your CVS ExtraCare card. Ask a cashier for a card/application, or you can sign up online (it will take a couple of weeks to get your card if you sign up onine).
You will need scan your card with every purchase, so you can start earning ECB (Extra Care Bucks). ECB are earned through promotions, such as “Buy 2, receive $2 in ECB.” you will see these promotions in the weekly ads or on shelf tags. The ECB print at the end of your receipt - clip them and keep them as carefully as you would cash. Use ECB like cash for your CVS purchases.
Some ECB info:
- The required amount to receive the ECB is always calculated before coupons.
- You do not have to buy all the products needed for that particular promotion in the one transaction or at the same store. A tally is printed on each receipt showing what you have towards each deal.
- ECB expire 4 weeks after they are issued.
- ECB can be used to purchase nearly anything in the store. (excluding prescriptions, alcohol, Gift Cards, lottery, money orders, postage stamps, pre-paid cards and tobacco products, as printed on the ECBb.) They cannot be used to pay the tax on a transaction.
- You cannot get change back when you use your ECB. However, they can be entered as less than their face value, for example if your total (before tax) comes to $1.97 and you have an ECB for $1.99 that you would like to use, and you don't mind losing 2 cents of its value. the cashier will adjust the value to the balance due before tax.
- You will also earn 2% cash back in the form of ECB on every purchase in-store and online. Every three months these ECB will print out at the end of your receipt.
- You can also earn one ECB for every two prescriptions purchased in-store or online.
CVS accepts manufacturer's coupons, including internet printable coupons. CVS also issues their own store coupons. You can get these through CVS emails and printed out at the end of your receipt (these are referred to as CRT's - cash register tape). Log into your CVS account to make sure you are subscribed to their emails to receive their email coupons. You can alos print coupons at on the CVS website, some are manufacturers coupons & some are CVS coupons.
Most CVS locations have a red price scanner/ coupon printer near the entrance. Just scan your card every time you shop to print multipe CVS coupons. Often these coupons will result in free items!
ECB and CRT coupons are linked to your CVS card, which means you cannot use them without the same CVS card that earned them. Most of the emailed cvs coupons for specific items (like $1 off gatorade) can be used with any CVS card. However the $$/$$ coupons (like $3 off $15 purchase) are activated only on the cards they were issued to.
CVS coupon policy allows for the use of one manufacturer and one CVS coupon on each item. ECB are not counted as coupons in this respect, you may use as many of these as you like.